Balance.

My wife Leila and I just celebrated 15 years of marriage, and escaped to Ventura for the weekend.  Right now I'm looking out a huge bay window at a sea of sailboats in the harbor.  It's been beautiful, peaceful and relaxing.

However, we have a couple hours of down time this morning, just hanging out in the hotel, and I'm having a hard time not thinking about my voice over business.  I'm thinking "wow, I have a couple hours where nothing is competing for my attention, what's the best use of my time?"

During the week, I'm going pretty much non-stop.  I almost never watch TV.  In fact, the TiVo broke, and it made me giddy.  I have zero desire to replace it.   I'll break out the X-Box for a brief stint once in awhile, but I find that horribly unfulfilling.  It's almost always gym, work, family or church. Oh, ya, and my dog Jonesie.  I feel one of those pulling at me all the time - and I do enjoy all of them - but I have a hard time stopping completely.

The question is, should I?  I think so.  I think I should take a break, relax, chill out - but I just don't seem to be able to.  I wouldn't even know what to do.  Even as I type this, I have a business book sitting next to me - the only book I brought with me.  Some of the other tabs I have open are for voice over work, invoicing and VO marketing ideas.

I don't know.  Maybe it's OK to always be on the go.  I can rest when I'm dead.




1 comment: